"And the reality of the society that we're in is there are thousands and thousands of people out there leading lives of quiet, screaming desperation, where they work long, hard hours at jobs they hate to enable them to buy things they don't need to impress people they don't like." - Nigel Marsh, author of Fat, Forty and Fired
Some Quotes :
On Work-Life Balance :
So
I stepped back from the
workforce, and I spent a year at home with my wife and four young
children. But all I learned about work-life balance from that
year was that I found it quite easy to balance work and
life when I didn't have any work. Not
a very useful
skill, especially when the money runs out.
Four
Observations on Work-Life Balance:
1. The first
is: if society's to make any progress on this issue, we need an
honest debate. But the trouble is so many people talk so much
rubbish about work-life balance.
All the discussions about
flexi-time or dress-down Fridays or paternity leave only serve
to mask the core issue, which is that certain job and career choices are fundamentally
incompatible with being meaningfully engaged on a day-to-day
basis with a young family.
2. The second observation I'd like to
make is we need to face the truth that governments and corporations aren't going to solve this issue for
us. We should stop looking outside. It's up to us as
individuals to take control and responsibility for the type of lives
that we want to lead. If you don't design your life, someone else
will design it for you, and you may just not like their idea of
balance. It's particularly important that
you
never put the quality of your life in the hands of a commercial
corporation.
4. Fourth observation: We need to approach balance in a balanced way. A friend came to see me last year -- and she doesn't mind me telling this story -- and said, "Nigel, I've read your book. And I realize that my life is completely out of balance. It's totally dominated by work. I work 10 hours a day; I commute two hours a day. All of my relationships have failed. There's nothing in my life apart from my work. So I've decided to get a grip and sort it out. So I joined a gym." Now I don't mean to mock, but being a fit 10-hour-a-day office rat isn't more balanced; it's more fit. Lovely though physical exercise may be, there are other parts to life -- there's the intellectual side; there's the emotional side; there's the spiritual side. And to be balanced, I believe we have to attend to all of those areas -- not just do 50 stomach crunches.
No comments:
Post a Comment