Friday, December 26, 2014

Do I Create Experiences or Do I Buy Stuff?

I cannot pinpoint, the exact time and date when I started feeling restless and had this nagging doubt that there must be more to life than owning things. But five years ago something happened to most of the residents of Metro Manila that left an indelible mark on how we will live our lives moving forward. 

In 2009, during that big flood here in Manila (courtesy of Typhoon Ondoy), while I was watching the news on TV and seeing the tragedy happening to almost everyone;  I had to assess my situation and decide what stuff I would bring with me just in case I need to evacuate. And I saw this Burberry Bag I recently bought then for 600 euros in Korea, and then it dawned on me, those stuff will not be able to save me. It’s just a symbol of my unbridled consumerism.  Years later, when I talk to some friends who had actual first-hand experience with Typhoon Ondoy, they said that the worst part is not in the losing of things; but the utter helplessness that they felt when the decision to dispose of something was taken away from them; when it is a force much bigger than all of us who makes the decisions, whether we like it or not.


Soon thereafter I decided I will never buy Louis Vuitton bags worth a thousand euros per bag or watches more than 200 euros (despite working in an environment where people are into shopping designer stuff, left and right!).  

I know I could afford to buy at least one, but then again my wants have changed from wanting to own things to wanting to create experiences. And If I do buy stuff that are too expensive then I would probably be too afraid to make scratch or a dent on it. Another thing is when I travel to Europe, since I am from a third world country, even if I deck myself head to toe in original designer stuff, there will still be people there who would think that what I own is fake.

In hindsight, these decisions have far reaching consequences, i.e.  it has enabled me to decide to go on vacation in Europe in 2013 and 2014 and visit friends and strengthen my relationships with then.  It has allowed to me really take a break from the daily grind of my work and wake up in some fabulous city like Paris, Munich or Frankfurt, worrying only about what I will eat for breakfast or which restaurant has a better croissant. Believe me this is a great thing! Something that sticks with you forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment